Having a parrot as a pet can be quite interesting. If you are one who likes to have someone constantly repeating what you are saying, perhaps are easily amazed with the exciting colors and soft features that birds have, keeping parrots as pets will be a very rewarding hobby. And as an owner, you should be responsible enough to know that choosing the best parrot foods is one of the main concerns that you should constantly consider to ensure that your birds will remain healthy and well while under your care.
But as there are so many options available in the market today, you need to choose wisely to get the most from whatever you will need to pay in exchange for the product/s that you intend to buy. Remember that your parrots’ diet is vital to its existence and well-being. If parrots are not provided with the right diet, they will soon fall ill or might display unexpected behaviors.
Whatever they consume can affect every aspect of their health, comfort level, as well as overall development. Just like humans, parrots will feel bad whenever they eat bad food. It will affect not only their mood but their overall well-being. So, it is important that these birds are provided with a diet that they deserve.
Choosing the Best Parrot Foods
When deciding which foods to offer your pet parrots, it is always a better option to consider organic foods for so many reasons as listed below.
- Organic parrot foods are non-carcinogenic. It may be easy to be persuaded to check out any possible option that you may see listed on the pages of the search results. But don’t be fooled. Many of these concocted or mixed feeds may contain chemicals that may not even been added to improve the quality of the food in the package, including those that are considered as cancer causing or carcinogenic, such as the following elements:
- Ethoxyquin, which is used as a food stabilizer and a pesticide.
- BHA or Butylated hydroxyanisole, which is a food preservative.
- BHT or Butylated hydroxytoluene, which is also a food preservative.
- Menadione , which is a vitamin K supplement, is noted to be toxic for birds.
- Organic foods do not contain sugar.
- These foods are great food alternatives for your birds. Organic pellet parrot food can lengthen the life expectancy of parrots since it offers only the good things that your pet bird needs to stay healthy and well.
- Organic foods are available almost anywhere.
So, which are the foods that you should consider for your pet parrots, then?
There are many options when it comes to foods that you may offer to your pet parrots. As each food group offers certain benefits, you should consider serving
Seeds. Seeds serve as the main source of nutrition for parrots. When thinking of serving seed mixes for your pet parrots, consider higher end brands, however. Note that regular seed mixes of parrot food normally contain sunflower seeds which are a good source of fat, hence will not be good for your pet bird. Higher priced bird seed mixes, on the other hand, contain a good variety of seeds that provide most of the nutritious elements that parrots need.
Pellets. Pellets contain more vitamins and minerals that your parrots need to live healthy. They are best served with fresh vegetables.
Fresh vegetables. Fresh vegetables provide the most nutrients for parrots. When combined with pellets, will provide the most energy for your parrots. (more…)